The information on this website is directed at those members who are opting out of the plan, and for those who will continue on the plan, more information can be found at or via your online health and dental plan portal (which you are able to access once you are fully enrolled in the plan).

For more information about the health and dental plan coverage and opt out eligibility, please contact the Students’ Union by emailing


Below are some frequently asked questions and associated answers. Please review these before contact the Students’ Union with questions.

Where can I find my plan information to complete the online opt out?

Sometimes when you are covered by a parent, you don’t always have the plan information directly. You can access the necessary information on a claim card, which is provided to every plan member, or by logging into your online claims website. You can also call your carrier and ask for the necessary information. Insurance providers can also provide you proof of coverage letters that include the necessary details and validate that you have existing coverage.

Can I add my dependents to my plan?

Yes. You are able to add a spouse, common law partner or child for an additional payment of $275 for 12 months, or you can add 2 or more family members for an additional payment of $400 for 12 months. The process of adding a dependent occurs after you have been enrolled in the plan yourself as the principle and receive a link to your online health and dental plan portal. Through that portal, you can access the option to add dependents by filing in the necessary information and by paying the fee online. An access link to this portal will be emailed once you are enrolled in the plan, you will then have 15 days to add and pay for any eligible family members that you wish to enroll in the plan.

How can I tell if I’m included in the Students’ Union plan?

The Students’ Union plan is applied to all students taking 6 or more credits per semester or who are enrolled in programs that are at least 16 weeks and taking 3 courses or more, unless taking certain programs, like adult basic education, co-op programming or Distance Education. To check if you are covered, consult your Okanagan College fee statement and look for a charge labelled OCSU Extended Health & Dental Plan.

Do students covered with First Nations Health Authority (FNHA) need to opt out of the Students’ Union plan?

Students covered with FNHA are eligible to opt out of the Students’ Union plan though there are some areas the Students’ Union plan provides more coverage. Students may choose to enjoy coverage with both plans. Students with sponsored education may not be provided financial support for the costs of the Students’ Union health and dental plan, be sure to connect with the sponsor. The primary difference in coverage is access to paramedical services, such as chiropractor, physiotherapy, acupuncture and more. Review the full coverage provided with the Students’ Union plan before choosing to opt out.